SEC: Corporate filings from the US Securities and Exchange Commission:
- The SEC requires all public companies (except foreign companies and companies with less than $10 million in assets and 500 shareholders) to file registration statements, periodic reports, and other forms electronically through this site (formerly called EDGAR). Anyone can access and download this information for free. Here you'll find links to a complete list of filings available from the SEC and instructions for searching the SEC database.
- This is a data distribution system from the Bureau of the Census that is the primary distribution locale for Census data. American FactFinder offers the capability to browse, search, and map data from many Census Bureau sources.
- Contains links to the federal agencies that collect data, and provides direct access to the data by topic and by geography. Data on the site is collected by over 100 federal agencies and is searchable by geography, agency or subject. Data available at the site includes trade, education, health care, agriculture, aviation, and energy. The site also has a link “MapStats” that provides data (population, housing, labor force, retail sales, etc.) for states, congressional districts, and federal judicial districts.
Bureau of Economic Analysis:
- U.S. Department of Commerce website offering a variety of U.S. economic data, including personal income data for 1948-present; annual estimates for the United States, regions, and all states by major source; total and per capita personal income; total and per capita disposable personal income; earnings, wage and salary disbursements, full- and part-time employment, and wage and salary employment by two-digit Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) industry.
U.S. Statistical Abstract:
- The Statistical Abstract or “national data book” includes data for the US on population, education, labor force, agriculture, the criminal justice system, elections and local and state government finances. The Statistical Abstract is available online from 1995-present. Some of the tables contain data as far back as 1790. Earlier editions are also available on line in PDF format.
General Business Information
- good dictionary of investing terms, as long as you can tolerate the ads
Wall Street Journal Online:
- current and historical stock quotes
Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ), Business & Management:
- RePEc stands for "Research Papers in Economics" and is an internal name for a group working on the provision of electronic working papers. It is the largest bibliographic database dedicated to Economics and available freely on the Internet. Over 1,400,000 items of research can be browsed or searched, and over 1,300,000 can be downloaded in full text.
Global & Country-Specific Information
- Eurostat is the statistical office of the European Communities. Its website provides information on economy and finance, population and social conditions, industries, external trade, transportation and more. Some data is available at the regional level.
- An International Labour Office database on labour statistics operated by the ILO Department of Statistics. Information for over 200 countries on employment, unemployment, hours of work, wages, consumer price indices and more. There is information on certain variables from 1969-2008 and employment projections through 2020.
Export.Gov Market Research:
- This federal government portal offers specialized information for global markets, including the Country Commercial Guides that give overviews of business environments in foreign countries.
NationMaster Nations of the World:
- NationMaster compiles statistics and country profiles from such sources as the CIA World Factbook, United Nations, World Health Organization, World Bank, World Resources Institute, UNESCO, UNICEF and OECD
- This database provides international statistics on all major social and economic subjects. It replaces the older database "UN Common Database" which will be discontinued in mid-2008.
- WDI (World Development Indicators) Online contains statistics for over 550 indicators from 1960 for over 200 countries and 18 country groups. Subjects include: social welfare, economies, natural resources, and the environment. Data may not be available for all years for all countries.
- The data and research section contains research, statistics and information on future prospects.
Manufacturing & Trade
- more than 4 million international and domestic companies, link buyers and sellers worldwide
Foreign Trade Statistics U.S. Census Bureau:
- See Statistics to find trade activity from the U.S. to other countries. Information on products and countries that import goods and commodities from each state.